Speakers from five of the UK’s top universities – Bath, Durham, Loughborough, Nottingham and St Andrews – joined us for our Higher Education Information Evening for Lower Sixth and Year 11 students and parents. Following our UCAS launch to the Lower Sixth in November, this was a chance to hear from universities themselves on a range of Higher Education related topics, aimed at helping them make more informed choices. The presentations covered:
- ‘The current Higher Education landscape’, addressing the rise in unconditional offers and the growing importance of university employability and placement programmes
- ‘Choosing a course and university’
- ‘The application process’
- ‘Applying to competitive universities’, identifying the most competitive courses and what universities are looking for in applications
- ‘Applying to Scottish universities’ – a popular choice for our students - highlighting in particular how the Scottish degree structure differs from English universities.
Following the presentations, and a Q&A session in which our students asked impressively incisive questions of our panel, parents and students had the option to attend breakout sessions on courses or universities with specialised requirements or application processes, or to ask our panel further questions on an informal basis over drinks. The breakout sessions were led by members of our in-house Higher Education team and covered:
- ‘Applying to Oxbridge’
- ‘Applying to Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry courses’
- ‘Applying to Art courses’
- ‘Applying to US universities’ – with thanks to our guest speaker from Dukes Education
This new format event was very well received by parents, students and speakers alike and the presentations given are now available on our Parent Portal.